Good Shepherd Church!





The first building was built from funds that was raised. This Fundraising was during the time of Fr David Marupen. This tradition and culture of The Good Shepherd Parish has contributed to a strong sense of community.

Reverend David Martin Marupen

Fr Shovell is the first full-time stipendiary rector of The Good Shepherd Parish. His ministry is firmly rooted on the foundation laid by his predecessors from the time of Reverend Canon Farmer to Fr David , as he was affectionately known. The vision and the mission of the Parish has been changed by new demographics. Initially the Parish was provided for worship for coloured people. Africans used it only in the evening for literacy 'night classes' so that they can be better domestic workers.

Father Shovell

Legend has is that the coloured people accompanied the Voortrekkers during their migration to the north. These were mostly servants, musicians and a few artisans according to most historical treatise.When gold was discovered on the Witwatersrand and elsewhere in the old Transvaal at the turn of the last century , the influx of coloured people to the Transvaal continued. The Official census of 1904 indicated that there were 35547 people of 'mixed blood' in the Transvaal.

Some of the coloured settlers found living conditions in the Johannesburg mining camps intolerable and decided to move to Pretoria. Here they found employment as domestic servants, coach drivers and Labourers. Most of them settles in the city centre in the Prinsloo street vicinity. A few families used the outspan are on the banks of the Apies river where the present Zoologival Gardens are located.

As their numbers grew, they were allocated a small area west of Church Square called the Cape Reserve, also referred to as the Cape Location. This area formed part of a larger mixed area, which included the Asiatic Bazaar and an African area north of Boom street. The three area were commonly known as Marabastad.



The migration of the coloured people continued for some time and they settled in Claremont and Lady Selborne north-west of Pretoria and in Highlands east of the city. A scattering of coloured families later found new homes in Riverside and Sewepond. During the period church services were held in people’s homes all over Pretoria.

The spiritual and educational needs of the ever increasing number of black and coloured people were assigned to the Pretoria Native Mission of the Anglican Church. Coloured people were part of this evangelization process. However in October 1904 a separate Coloured Mission was established.

Did You know?


Did you know that the Good Shepherd Church had a school!

Good Shepherd School

Centenary Cellabrations 1904-2004

Good shepherd church
This book with 100 years of the Churches History can be obtained by contacting the church.